Child Safety and Safeguarding Advisor
The Child Safety and Safeguarding technical advisor supports the development and roll-out of policy, development of tools, strengthening capacity and learning, and improving the quality of our spaces and centres that children use, which are managed by our operational teams and partners globally with a survivor focused approach.**
The two Child Safety and Safeguarding Advisors will work with colleagues in the UK and Country Programmes to ensure that War Child programmes are safe for children, identifying risks and mitigation strategies and investigating safeguarding allegations when required and developing policies and procedures strengthening our systems within the organisation. The post holder must be a native or fluent French speaker and have a strong knowledge of adult safeguarding including adults at risk and PSEA and lead on ensuring that the policy is rolled out and implemented across programmes.
Note: Candidates unable to demonstrate French fluency will not be considered for this role.
You will also represent War Child externally in relevant networks to ensure that War Child is at the forefront of sector changes and innovations and report regularly into internal senior bodies and Trustees. You will hold strong relationships with the country teams, challenging teams to shift culture and working closely with partners and child safeguarding focal points to improve capacity in all areas relating to safety and safeguarding. This post holder will specifically work with the French speaking country teams in CAR and DRC and will lead on responsible data management with the support of other relevant departments.
· Support colleagues in the country programmes to undertake risk assessments of all spaces accessed by children to implement mitigating and corrective measures
· Ensure all incidents are appropriately documented, reported and considered. Analyse trends from reporting mechanisms and provide management with recommendations for improvements
· Conduct investigations and other incident management work in connection with safeguarding allegations and suspicions of abuse; Provide professional specialist supervision, training and oversight to staff managing safeguarding cases and other critical incidents
· Work with all country teams and partners to strengthen child safety and safeguarding by strengthening capacities of staff and partners in risk assessments and mitigating steps and by providing specialist advice and guidance.
· Lead on UK / Organisation systems strengthening (operationalising policies) to ensure that all engagement with internal and external actors in contact with War Child experience a safe and survivor led approach to our work and organisation covering child safety, adults at risk and PSEA.
· Report to the Audit Committee and Senior Leadership Team as required
· Coordinate, plan and devise training on child safety and safeguarding for staff at different levels including e-learning content and co-lead the Safeguarding Awareness Raising week within War Child together with other team members
· Travel to insecure environments to assist in the above (depending on security)
· Work with colleagues to strengthen the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy and Procedures and to build the skills of colleagues and partners in managing concerns
· Maintenance of a system to document risks and concerns raised, ensuring that appropriate follow-up is conducted and that learning from implementing these processes is fed back into the organisation’s practice, policies and risk management, including direct and regular reporting the Board’s Audit and Risk Committee and the Senior Management Team.
· Support a Community of Practice based on child safety awareness and meaningfully share learning and apply knowledge to build capacity providing particular support to focal points in country
· Lead on responsible data management for the Programmes and Advocacy Department and Safer Recruitment in our country programmes in collaboration with the HR Department
· Undertake any reasonable tasks delegated from the line manager or senior management team consistent with the role and nature of the job and responsibility
How to apply:
For instructions on how to apply please go to our website: https://www.warchild.org.uk/who-we-are/work-for-us/latest-vacancies