Communications & Advocacy Officer
Child’s i Foundation has demonstrated that children can be safely placed into loving homes through tracing and reuniting them into their own families, finding foster families or placing them with adoptive families in Uganda. Together with other partners, Child’s i Foundation is catalysing the elimination of institutional care for children by demonstrating the positive impact of family strengthening and protection as a high-quality alternative to institutions. As a result, hundreds of institutionalized children have been transitioned into safe family environments where they receive care and protection and benefit from significantly improved health, education and wellbeing outcomes. Also, the lives of thousands of children and their families at risk of institutionalization including children with disabilities have benefited from improved community-based services. Families have been supported to: reduce their vulnerability, access services and gain relevant skills with regard to increasing their income and protecting all children. In addition, the capacity of government professionals and community paraprofessionals increased to strengthen families in responding adequately to poverty and ensure children are safe and protected.
To Support the planning and implementation of the Foundation’s communications, advocacy, media and digital media strategies that continually raise the Foundation’s public profile, visibility, and innovation in Alternative Care aligned with the Foundation's mission, vision and strategic plan.
KEY JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Support the implementation of the media engagement strategy. Takes the lead in organising media outreach; arranges all media contacts, appearances, press briefings and interviews.
● Contribute to the development of graphics, images and videos for communications, advocacy and fundraising purposes.
● Develop communications and advocacy material and support the coordination and production of a diverse range of information products which highlight Child’s i work.
Advocacy-Outreach & Influence
● Support the development, review and implementation of Child’s i advocacy strategy.
● Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with key stakeholders so as to create a movement to maximise the impact of Child's i strategic objectives.
● Liaise with programmes teams for effective implementation of advocacy related activities.
● Offer technical support in the organisation’s events planning and management
Reporting & Evaluation
● Monitor, evaluate and report on the impact of communications activities.
● Provide bi-monthly updates to the Advocacy Manager for the monthly key performance indicator monitoring and contribute to the Child’s i annual report.
● Regularly update Workplace and encourage other staff to share exciting stories.
● Communicate progress and any exciting news on a regular basis with pictures and updates on children and other Child’s i progress.
Education & Work Experience
● University Degree in Mass Communication, Public Relations, Journalism or other relative fields (undergraduate)
● Minimum of 2 years of previous experience in a Journalism or Advocacy position.
● In-depth understanding of the Uganda political and social context and familiarity with key stakeholders in the CCI sector.
● Ability to grasp complex information and accurately translate these into briefings and other forms of advocacy communication.
● Demonstrable experience of effectively engaging with government
● Experience writing press releases
● Previous experience with Ugandan media and civil society
● Demonstrable experience of effectively mobilizing and working with civil society networks and organizations to generate momentum on a common agenda
● Demonstrable advocacy/stakeholder management experience
Skills & Abilities
● Excellent interpersonal & influencing skills
● Proven ability in fostering relations with stakeholders
● Ability to manage a complex and varied workload and to work under pressure
● Strong communication skills, both oral and written
● Presentation and Public Speaking Skills
● Good computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PPT, and WordPress
● Ability to develop and implement advocacy strategies
● Ability to support local, national and international advocacy initiatives of others.
● Outgoing and proactive personality
● Ability to work as a member of a team
● Ability to work independently and with minimal direction or supervision
● Interest in Alternative Care and Child Protection
● Ability to motivate/inspire others with ideas
● Innovative, energetic, solution-orientated approach to work
How to apply:
Send your updated application letter and CV ONLY to email@example.com. The closing date for applications is 31 March 2022 at 17:00 EAT. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Child's i Foundation is committed to safeguarding vulnerable children and adults from sexual exploitation and other forms of abuse. Rigorous background and reference checks will be conducted in the course of the selection process.