Head of Mission, Ukraine Refugee Crisis Response
The conflict in Ukraine is resulting in a major humanitarian crisis with over 3 million people having fled to neighboring countries, and millions displaced within Ukraine. Plan International is responding to the crisis and working in partnership with civil society organisations in Poland, Romania, and Moldova to meet the key needs of those affected by the crisis as well as host communities.
We are currently recruiting for four Heads of Mission, each with a focus on Ukraine, Poland, Romania or Moldova. The Head of Mission (HoM) will act as Plan International representative for the defined Program Area. They are responsible for leading the strategic direction in the Program Area in accordance with Plan’s strategic program framework. The HoM has final accountability for timely and quality delivery of all Plan’s operations in the area and in line with the approved country specific Emergency Response Plan and the wider Ukraine Refugee Response Strategy.
The role serves as Plan International’s main liaison with the State/Government bodies, Partner Organisations, UN & Peer Agencies and Donors to establish a good working relationship, influence decision makers on issues affecting children’s and girls and ensure Plan’s visibility.
- Oversee the design and implementation of interventions. Ensures they are taking place in a holistic and sustainable way and aligned with approved global policies /frameworks.
- Provide strategic leadership and guidance to staff within response location ensuring that the global program quality framework and other relevant policies (e.g., Safeguarding, security and gender equality policies) are embedded within the day-to-day operations.
- Lead and support the planning process for the response location ensuring this is updated as and when needed.
- Coordinate with the Ukraine Response Director to develop and implement the relevant policies and strategies ensuring that Plan International is nationally and internationally recognized as a key humanitarian actor in the response.
- Ensure that Plan International is well positioned at the Government (national and local) level through regular external representation and networking, ensuring the specific rights of children are respected.
- Champion key advocacy initiatives at both national and regional levels. Participate in external for a representing these positions.
- Oversees Plan’s work with partners and ensures selection and capacity building plans are implemented as per Plan International Partnership framework.
- Manage overall response strategies and ensure that humanitarian aid is provided on a timely manner and in full consideration of humanitarian standards such as SPHERE, CHS and others.
- Proactive engagement in interagency coordination fora.
- Drives fundraising activities, ensuring profile with donors.
- Ensures that all major institutional donors compliance requirements are fully adhered to.
- Oversees regular financial management review meetings ensuring compliance with workplans and donor expectations.
- Oversees establishment and implementation of complaints and feedback mechanisms in programmes and in our own offices.
- Actively promotes Plan International policies and procedures on safeguarding and PSHEA
- Create a conducive working environment in which people are motivated, respected, valued and managed well to realize their potential and development.
- Promotes training and development opportunities for staff and partners that will result in professional growth and equip them with knowledge and skills to enable their professional development and enhance programme quality.
- Implement all People & Culture initiatives related to staff capacity building, rewards, succession, work force, promotion, and retention and manage staff performance in line with approved Plan Employee Appraisal standards and guidelines.
- Take active role in staff recruitment for the response according to needs and resources.
- Responsible for oversight and running of the Plan international office.
- Responsible for the safety and security of staff and Plan properties. Conducts regular risk analysis and develops appropriate contingency plans as required.
- Responsible for compliance with national legislation.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Demonstrated commitment to integrating gender equality into all aspects of operations – both programmatic and operational support functions.
- Significant experience in a wide range of senior management roles in different humanitarian contexts
- Proven experience in the management of key programmatic areas such as Mental Health and Psychosocial Support, Education in Emergencies, Child Protection in Emergencies, Cash and Voucher Assistance.
- Demonstrated experience in securing a broad range of donor funding for humanitarian programmes and ensuring compliance with donor requirements.
- Effective communication skills (written and oral)
- Experience of working in partnership with a diverse range of civil society organisations.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills.
- Proven team and interpersonal skills.
- Strong negotiating, facilitation and influencing skills in multi-cultural contexts.
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically.
How to apply
Please visit our website at https://jobs.plan-international.org/job-invite/43850/ for further information and to apply for this role.