Kenya: Humanitarian Project Coordinator
Reports to: Country Manager Kenya
Duty Station: Moyale- Marsabit (Kenya)
Contract Duration: 6 months
Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH NL) is an international child rights organisation committed to stopping child exploitation globally. In line with the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) and International Labour Organization (ILO) standards as laid down in Conventions 138 and 182, our definition covers: child trafficking and unsafe migration; sexual exploitation of children; the worst forms of child labour; and child abuse including violations of the sexual and reproductive health rights (SRHR) of adolescents and retrogressive cultural practices such as child marriage and female genital mutilation. In addition, humanitarian assistance is an integral part of our activities, in particular child protection and stopping child exploitation in emergency situations. We work with local partners, so we keep a good view of the local problems. Our partners know the culture and know how best to help children who are being exploited. This allows us to better organise our programs.
Our Vision: Terre des Hommes Netherlands works towards a world where all children have a decent life and can grow up to be independent adults. A world in which children are no longer exploited. We will continue our work until this is accomplished.
Our Mission: Terre des Hommes Netherlands prevents child exploitation, removes children from exploitative situations and ensures these children can develop themselves in a safe environment.
In Africa, Terre des Hommes Netherlands works in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Madagascar. We support child victims of exploitation with safeguarding, education, livelihoods support, psychosocial support, legal assistance, shelter, job opportunities and medical care; while at the same time targeting highly vulnerable children, who are at risk of being exploited, in our prevention activities. We launch public and media campaigns to create awareness on our focus issues and carry out local research into the extent and nature of abuse and exploitation of children.
In Kenya, TdH NL programmes are implemented in Central, Rift Valley, Coastal, Western and Northern regions of Kenya where we collaborate with other CSOs and networks in the execution of projects aimed at preventing child exploitation and providing assistance to exploited children.
Objective of the Position:
The Humanitarian Project Coordinator has the overall day to day responsibility for implementation, coordination of the DRA drought response project in Marsabit and works closely with the implementing partner to deliver results. In addition he/she will support in ongoing analysis of the humanitarian context, assessing emergency-related funding opportunities (fundraising) to support ongoing and new responses, representing TdH NL in relevant emergency coordinations, provision of technical guidelines to field emergency staff.
The Humanitarian Project Coordinator works under the direct supervision of the Kenya Country Manager and liaises with all programs/projects, operations departments in Kenya Country Office, Regional team and Humanitarian unit at the HQ.
Results Areas, Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Project management and delivery of results:
- Coordinate and supervise the day to day implementation of the emergency project in Marsabit
- Responsible for the overall utilisation of the emergency project budget in accordance with TdH NL and donor financial procedure and regulations.
- Advise implementing partner on a range of issues including context and need analysis, response modality and scale, targeting, etc.
- Ensure emergency responses are in compliance to TdH NL´s, country and international standards. Ensure that all responses are contextually appropriate.
- In coordination with the MEAL Officer, regional MEAL Advisor and project back office develop appropriate M&E for the TdH NL emergency project in Marsabit
- Supervise monitoring and evaluation of the emergency project to ensure the overall implementation is in accordance with agreed work plans, donor agreements and humanitarian accountability framework.
- Ensure the timely and quality reporting of the emergency project as per donor and internal guidelines
- Participate in quarterly review meetings and provide progressive updates of the project
Humanitarian Assistance Programme Development:
- Work closely with the PM, country manager, regional programme development manager and Humanitarian Aid Coordinator to identify funding opportunities that compliment TdH NL´s humanitarian aid programs in Kenya.
- Support the expansion and strengthening of the Humanitarian Aid program within the framework of TdH’s Strategy.
- Provide technical oversight and leadership in relation to TdH NL´s Humanitarian Aid program in Kenya.
- Regularly monitor the humanitarian context changes and adapt programs to respond to the needs of affected populations.
- Advise/support rapid needs assessments or/and participate in joint need assessments with other humanitarian actors in the country.
- Provide directions and guidance to the country office on the implementation of emergency response programs in Kenya
- Closely coordinate with the Humanitarian Aid Coordinators at the head office.
- Regularly assess the technical capacity of humanitarian aid staff including partners and facilitate capacity building training.
- Collaborate with other relevant colleagues at the country, regional and head office to explore and pilot new approaches in line with TdH NL priorities.
Coordination and representation:
- Establish strong linkage with key sector coordination, NGOs, UN agencies, government counterparts and CSO actors at the national, regional and local level.
- Coordinate with other humanitarian response actors to promote operational and program coordination.
- Actively represent and promote TdH NL in emergency coordination and working group;. share relevant information with the Country team, region and head office.
- Advocate TdH´s humanitarian program with donors and other humanitarian stakeholders.
The responsibilities listed in the job description are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- Advanced university degree, preferably in an appropriate field such as disaster management, humanitarian aid, international relations, project management or equivalent.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in the field, preferably in complex humanitarian situations or emergencies.
- Knowledge of the country's context.
- Proven experience and knowledge in emergency coordination
- Proven experience in needs assessment and report writing
- Experience in budget management
- Proven experience in management of multisector programme including Protection, FSL, Multipurpose Cash, WASH, Nutrition etc
- Knowledge of Project management, including project design, implementation, and evaluation.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills- written and orally.
- Planning, organizing, cooperation, performance oriented.
- High degree of taking initiative and working independently.
- Knowledge of management techniques including partner management skills.
- Verbal and written fluency in English
- Knowledge of Terre des Hommes
- Experience with protection programming and mainstreaming of protection in emergency programming is a strong asset.
- Knowing additional local language skills is considered an asset.
- Analytical capacity: understand complex issues by logical reasoning, investigation of potential causes.
- Networking: Builds relationships and networks that are helpful when realising objectives and utilises informal networks to get things done.
- Striving for excellence: focus on results while ensuring efficiency.
Integrity: act based on TdH´s mission and values.
How to apply
Please send your motivation letter and curriculum vitae (indicating your expected remuneration) by e-mail to: email@example.com clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications for this position, no later than by Monday, 27th June 2022 1700hrs (EAT). The application email subject should be: Humanitarian Project Coordinator, Kenya. For more information about this position, you can contact us through the same email address.
Note: The selection procedure will also include an assessment test, and checking of recent professional references.