Myanmar/Thailand: Program Operations Manager
HI is committed to an employment policy in favour of persons with disabilities.
The Myanmar Thailand (MyTh) program involves all HI’s interventions’ contexts and was created in 2016 with the merge of 2 already existing missions, setting up cross border initiatives to integrate the return of refugees from Thailand to Myanmar as part of its regional strategy.
Emergency, Armed Violence Reduction (Humanitarian Mine Action) and development sectors coexist in Myanmar, creating a diverse, challenging and dynamic working environment, where coordination is operated mainly through working groups and clusters. Consortia and pool funds are frequent. Intense networking is essential for successful fundraising and efficient implementation.
HI has developed its first regional strategy and it is therefore, on the one hand consolidating current sectors of activities, and on the other exploring the needs and possibility to enter in new operational sectors.
The current portfolio of projects in Kachin is as follows:
- Rehabilitation care, provision of assistive devices and NFI in the IDPs sites.
- Emergency response to IDPs: provision of MHPSS, rehabilitation care and EORE to IDPs while strengthening the inclusion of people with disabilities from local and international partners.
- Mine Risk Education
- Inclusive Education: provision of home learning tools and activities.
In the other part of the country, some EORE, rehabilitation care and assistive devices provision, MHPSS, protection, disability inclusion and inclusive education activities are also ongoing, under the management of the other areas Operations Managers.
There are some clashes in various parts of Kachin between the military and the Ethnic organizations.
As per the ongoing HI transformation project ROOTS, the support services staff now report directly to MyTh Managers based in Yangon, while keeping on ensuring an efficient and localized support for the operations their respective bases.
Under the responsibility of the Myanmar / Thailand (MyTh) Program Director, you, as the Program Operations Manager, contribute to the implementation of the mandate and the 10-year strategy of Humanity & Inclusion. You ensure optimal quality and impact of the projects implemented in the area, through a delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms. You share with all HI managers the responsibility of a sound management and successful functioning of the global organization, through paradigm changes.
Your Main Responsabilities are :
- You are responsible for developing and implementing, in Myanmar, the projects part of the Program operational strategy.
- Under the guidance of your line management and other relevant departments (most especially Technical Unit, Shared Services, MEAL), you deploy all adequate tools that will allow project monitoring, financial controlling, and compliance with HI policies and frameworks (in particular HI Project Monitoring & Evaluation policy), and the respect of contractual obligations towards donors.
- You contribute to monitoring and analyzing context developments in your geographical area, identifies operational risks and opportunities, and proposes actions to your line management.
- You contribute to organizational transformation in line with Lean, Shared Services, and ROOTS projects.
- Depending on projects volume and area complexity: follow up security management, coordinate shared services, and operations team daily to facilitate activities implementation
- On delegation from the Program Director and in conjunction with the Area Managers, you manage the program's key and cross-cutting projects at the operational level;
Your main missions are :
- You are the manager of the Area Managers and Grant Manager in Myanmar
- You steer organization transformation, in particular through managerial and work practice change and continuous improvement of working processes.
- You ensure the functional animation of the teams
2. Contribution to the Program’s Operational strategy and HI frameworks & regulations
- You contribute to the development of the Program’s Operational Strategy, and its implementation and annual monitoring
- You implement the project part of the Program’s Operational Strategy:
- You ensure the deployment of and compliance with HI global frameworks, institutional policies, and standards
- You ensure sound management and monitoring of projects under your responsibility:
- With both operational opportunities and risks in mind, you contribute to the monitoring and analysis made by the Line Manager, and propose mitigation measures when relevant
- You support the Area Manager in monitoring the security of the area and ensure adequate resources for employees according to the context
- You develop external influence of HI (forums, operational & strategic alliances, etc.) and the external representation of the organization (events, media)
- You hold a Master degree in management, development studies or any other similar and relevant field.
- You have at least 7 years of experience as Operations Manager/Head of Programmes or similar position
- You have experience in managing actions in a humanitarian context and development context, with international experience
- You master the management and monitoring of humanitarian project in emergency context and development context, and you have an understanding of HI mandate and mission, of the fundamentals of disability, of armed violence reduction, of security management.
- You are able to manage a multi-cultural and multi-sector team, you show autonomy, leadership and resilience to stress and uncertainty
- You master written and oral communication both in English
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. https://hi.org/en/join-the-team
12 months International contract starting from 1st September 2022 based in Yangoon or Mae Sot
The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:
- Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals
- Pension scheme adapted to the situation of our employees: If you already have a personal pension scheme HI will contribute at the same level of your personal monthly contribution with a maximum of 272.53€/month ; If you do not have a personal pension scheme, we will open a private pension account with your contribution of 272.53€/month and a contribution of HI of the same amount
- Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution
- Repatriation insurance paid by HI
Salary from 2850 € gross/month upon experience
Perdiem: 489,18€ in MY and 589,79€ in Thailand € net/month - paid in the field
Hardship: 250 € for Myanmar net/month paid with your salary no hardship for Thailand
Paid leaves: 25 days per year;
R&R: 1 day per month for Thailand and 5 days every 3 months for Myanmar
- Unaccompanied for Myanmay
Open to families for Thailand
a child allowance of 100€ per month, per child (from the second child) paid in the field
Contribution to school registration fees for children over 3 years
Family-wide health coverage
Payment for travel costs (air ticket & visa) and transport of your personal effects
Housing: individual taken in charge by HI
If you are resident in the country: local package
How to apply
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link:
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis, don’t wait for applying! Only successful candidates will be contacted.