Yemen: Policy, Advocacy, Campaign Director
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) in the CO, the Policy, Advocacy and Campaigns (PAC) Director shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the Country Office. The PAC Director in his/her capacity is responsible for providing leadership to ensure excellence in our public and private facing advocacy, campaigning, media and communications on the humanitarian crisis and situation of children in Yemen as well as our longer-term development work.
The purpose of the role is to lead and manage the external and internal Advocacy, Campaigns, Communications and Media work for the Yemen country office including the advocacy strategy development and implementation as a prioritized Category 1 response, supporting the priority programmatic areas, such as Child Protection, Health and Nutrition, Food Security, Education in Emergencies, and humanitarian space/operational space issues. The role will support the Senior Management Team in risk mapping, mitigation and management on issues identified as most relevant for the CO, and develop policy analysis and strategic planning in response to those issues.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
- Post-graduate degree in social science, politics, human rights, journalism and media or other related fields or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 8 years demonstrated experience in progressively responsible positions at senior management levels.
- At least 8 years-experience in a humanitarian or development environment, preferably leading advocacy and policy change in the Middle East.
- Prior management experience working in emergency response contexts or fragile states.
- Significant prior experience working in advocacy on humanitarian issues, child rights, human rights, and/or development issues.
- Experience of influencing and advocacy work including lobbying, policy development and information provision in humanitarian issues.
- Excellent skills in advocating towards government officials in developing countries.
- Experience of and strong skills in developing and implementing humanitarian advocacy strategies.
- Proven skills in media and communication work, including interviews on radio, print and TV.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead research, surveys and other activities oriented towards developing positions and evidence base.
- Highly developed communication skills both written and verbal in order to establish effective relationships with a wide variety of internal and external audiences including at a geographical distance
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Fluency in Writing and Presentation skills in English required
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Experience in managing risks associated with advocacy and communications in high-risk settings, including in developing risk management plans and mitigation measures.
- Advanced understanding of Protection issues arising from a conflict setting, impact on protected populations, and implications for humanitarian aid agencies.
- Extensive knowledge of child rights and international humanitarian law
- Understanding of UN and donor operations at country level
- High level analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with experience in managing multicultural teams.
- Experience in coaching, capacity-building and supporting the development of a team, including supporting junior members of staff to deliver high-quality output.
- Experience working for an international humanitarian organisation in Yemen (or the Middle East) preferred
- Experience with programs, program development, proposal writing, or implementation a plus.
- Experience in coordination of various stakeholders a plus
- Experience solving complex issues through analysis
- Has a strong international network within advocacy and policy settings
- Understanding of the issues concerning the INGO sector with an in-depth knowledge in communications, marketing and/or fundraising
- Demonstrable track record of leading change, resulting in significant results for the organisation and their stakeholders.
High Fluency in writing and presentation skills in Arabic
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers/apply
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=YS5hbGF0Ljg1MTk5LjEyMTg1QHNhdmV0aGVjaGlsZHJlbmFvLmFwbGl0cmFrLmNvbQ